Localized skin tightening using electrical arcing, also referred to as Plasma or “Fibroblast”.
Young, elastic skin depends on the number of structural proteins such as collagen and elastin. These proteins help your skin resist temporary changes such as stretching, folding, or wrinkling. As we age, our bodies produce less of these structural proteins, making our skin more prone to show signs of ageing, such as fine lines and wrinkles.
A mild superficial controlled burn by using AC voltaic arcs, DC voltaic arcs or Lasers induces a skin tightening effect which helps the skin restore more of its natural elasticity. This occurs because localized heat stimulates the skin’s regenerative response, resulting in firmer, tighter skin between the wrinkles and hence the reduction in the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Similar results are also possible by using other skin rejuvenation methods, like AHAs (alpha hydroxy acid) based cosmetic peels, however, the use of voltaic arc or cosmetic lasers are generally more selective because it can be applied exactly where required, therefore inducing the skin tightening exactly were your client needs it, with a higher degree of precision. We refer to this type of skin tightening as “localised skin tightening” or “targeted skin tightening”
Generally, Localised Skin Tightening can be accomplished by using:
- Lasers devices,
- Electrical arcing devices.
The basic principle used by all these types of devices is the same, which is the targeted delivery of heat into the skin. When this is done the skin tends to respond by generating new collagen which results in tighter and firmer skin.
Skin tightening using electrical arcing (or also referred to as Plasma) can be accomplished in two main ways:
- Using the spot mode or spot operation.
- Using the spray operation.
Both methods deliver the required heat into the skin needed to cause a very localized skin tightening. This localized skin tightening, in turn, reduces the appearance of saggy skin and fine lines. In particular, the fine lines are improved by the pulling effect of the skin tightening effect applied between the lines.
The spot mode is the preferred method to apply skin tightening by using electrical arcing, on various parts of the face. It is the preferred method because it delivers consistent and repeatable results and it is very easy to learn especially for beginners. The spot mode is used extensively for:
we can see how the intention is to feather out the treatment as we move away from the wrinkles. In other words, the spots are applied in a more tight fashion where the wrinkles are deeper, closer to the eye. As we move away from the eye then the distancing of the spots is increased.
You will also note that, in case of fine lines, the wrinkles tend to disappear while are you applying the spots. This is not a permanent effect. This is a normal immediate reaction of the skin to the dehydration effects of the superficial carbonization caused by the electrical arcing (also referred to as plasma).
The spray mode is not normally used for skin tightening, instead, it is commonly used for:
- Tattoo Removal.
- Permanent Make-Up Removal.
- Moles Removal, inclining Xanthelasma, Seborrheic Keratosis, Syringoma Removal and most of the other benign lesions and hypertrophic skin imperfections removed for aesthetic reasons.
- Skin resurfacing to improve the appearance of hypertrophic scars.
However, after several numbers of treatments, when the users gain plenty of confidence with the use of electrical arcing for skin tightening, some prefer to move to the spray operation.
In some cases, this is also the natural way to increase the treatment intensity while using the spot mode. As we will see later on, one of the ways to increase the treatment intensity is by decreasing the distance between the spots.
In some other cases, some experienced users prefer to apply short spraying busts between the wrinkles instead of applying several random spots as we have seen above. In the following video, we will see an example where a mild pray operation was used for perioral lines attenuation.
In the video below we can see an example of the spray operation for upper eyelid tightening.
When using electrical arcing for the first time for “localised skin tightening”, in general, it is advisable to use the spot operation as it is very easy to learn and leads to consistent results.
When using the “spot-mode” or “Spot Operation” the treatment intensity is dependant on a number of factors, the power setting on the device is only one of them.
Namely, the overall intensity of skin tightening treatments using Electrical arcing is dependant on:
- duration of the arc.The longer the arc is applied at each point, during the spot operation, the higher the intensity of the skin tightening treatment. Conversely the shorter the duration of the arc the milder the intensity of the treatment. Remember that, in any case, excessive exposure to any voltaic arc at any intensity can result in injury.
- power level.The higher the device power setting the higher the intensity of the treatment.
- the distance between the spots. The shorter the distance between the spots the higher the treatment intensity. Conversely, as the distance between each spot is increased the treatment intensity is reduced.
- the area covered.The wider the overall area covered the higher the overall intensity of the treatment.
Therefore the intensity of the treatment in the spot mode or spot operation is determined by four main factors and not only the power setting of the device itself.
However, said all the above it is important to mention that a high-intensity treatment does not necessarily lead to proportional improvements. In other words, the degree of improvement is not directly proportional to the intensity of the treatment.
If for example, over the course of a treatment the duration of the arc at each point is approximately a quarter of a second and this leads to an improvement of approximately say 4, if we increase only the duration by doubling it, by keeping all the other parameters the same (like power level, area covered and distance between carbonisation spots), the improvement will not necessarily be double because we have doubled the duration of the arc at each spot.
More generally, doubling the overall intensity of the treatment, does not necessarily lead to an improvement which may be twice as good, it will only be slightly better. Therefore, even after you have gained enough confidence, it is generally advisable to conduct milder treatments than you would otherwise consider possible.
Like in the case of the “spot operation”, when using the “spray-mode” or “Spray Operation” for localised skin tightening, the treatment intensity is dependant on a number of factors, the power setting on the device is only one of them.
Please bear in mind that, although the “spray operation” is also very effective in skin tightening, the “spot operation” it is the preferred method used in skin tightening for beginners.
Namely the overall intensity of localised skin tightening treatments using Electrical Arcing in “Spray Operation” is dependant on:
- the sweeping speed of the spraying operation. The slower the speed of the spraying motion the higher the intensity of the treatment. This is because the slower the speed of the sweeping movement the more heat is transferred into the skin. Conversely, the faster the sweeping movement the less the heat transferred into the skin. Remember that, in any case, excessive exposure to any voltaic arc at any intensity can result in injury.
- power level. The higher the power setting the better the higher the intensity of the treatment.
- the area covered, the wider the overall area covered the higher the overall intensity of the treatment.
Therefore the intensity of the treatment in the spray mode or spray operation is determined by the above three main factors and not only by the power setting of the device itself.
When you first start to use the device for skin tightening, it is best to gain confidence in stages and over a number of sessions. First of all, you must have practised using the device on the test meat and have enough confidence in your ability to generate the arc when the device is set at the minimum power level. Also, the very first time you use the device for skin tightening, you should do it in the mildest possible way, at the very low intensity. Then, as you see the results after each treatment, you will progressively gain confidence with the use of the equipment for this particular aesthetic application.
Because the spot technique leads to consistent results and it is very easy to learn, the best way to start using the device for skin tightening by using AC voltaic arc is by applying the spot mode with the device set at minimum power, distancing the spots at least 3 to 4 mm apart. Also, the duration of the application of the arc at each spot needs to be brief, resembling a short burst (average maximum duration one-quarter of a second). As you gain confidence by seeing the results of the mild aesthetic treatment, then you can start to slowly increase the intensity of the treatment by increasing the spot duration, and/or decrease the distance between the spots or the power setting of the device etc.
So to recap:
- first, make sure you are able to generate the arc while the device is set at the minimum power level. To review the specific exercise or to learn this skill please CLICK HERE.
- the distance the spots at least 3 to 4 mm apart
- the duration of the application of the arc at each spot needs to be brief, resembling short bursts.
- Cover the equivalent of a 50 pence coin area no more.
- Let the area recover and see the results for yourself.
- Then you can slowly increase the intensity of the treatment.
We mentioned the intensity of the treatment in the spray mode operation is determined by the number of factors in both the spot operation and the spray operation. Therefore you can increase the intensity in various ways.
Initial treatments parameters when using the device for skin tightening for the first time:
- Use the device in Three Battery Mode.
- Use the device at Minimum Power Setting, with the device powered by three batteries only.
- Spot duration (approximately) a quarter of a second. Resembling short bursts.
- The distance between the spots 3-4 mm apart applied in a random fashion.
When learning how to use the device for skin tightening, it is recommended to only vary (decrease) the distancing between the spots and keep all the parameters the same, like the device power level, duration of the spots and area covered. As you gain experience then you can also vary the other parameters in order to increase the treatment intensity.
It is always recommended to use the spot mode and move onto applying the spray operation once you have acquired enough experience.
When using AC voltaic arc for skin tightening, for the first time, always start in a conservative fashion by performing very low-intensity treatments. Use the device at low power setting, apply the voltaic spots far apart and in very short bursts. As you see the results after the area has recovered fully and you gain more confidence you can then slowly and gradually increase the duration of the spots and decrease the distance between each spot applied (hence increasing the intensity of the treatment).
- important skill you have to learn before you move to carrying out cosmetic treatments for skin tightening. Gain enough confidence in your ability to generate the arc when the device is set at a minimum power level, before starting any cosmetic procedure for skin tightening.
- The first time you use voltaic arcing for localized skin tightening, apply a very low-intensity treatment. This is done by using the device at minimum power level using three batteries, applying the spots 3 to 4 millimetres apart, applying the arc in very short bursts, and covering a small area not larger than a 50Pence coin.
- When applying the voltaic arc for fine lines attenuation cover the area between the wrinkles without applying the arc inside the wrinkles folds themselves.
- Apply the spots randomly in order to accomplish a uniform skin pulling effect, never apply the spots to draw a line as this could result in asymmetrical undesired results.
- Do not remove the carbon residues by purposely rubbing the area you treated with a cotton pad, soon after the skin tightening treatment.
- (Optional). Apply the appropriate soothing product (soothing mask, gel or cream) on the area as soon as finished the treatment to soothe the treated area, maximize client comfort and minimize the perceived downtime.
- Remind the client about the importance of the aftercare, including the application of antiseptic products to reduce risks of infection. No make-up of any type should be worn until the area has recovered completely. Total sunscreen must be used every day for up to 3 months after the last treatment.
- Allow a minimum of 6 weeks interval between treatments on the same area of the skin.
- Observe the results by comparing them with the before pictures and repeat slowly increasing the intensity of the treatment
What to expect from Fibroblast skin tightening treatments
Skin tightening using voltaic arcing also referred to as PLASMA produces mild appreciable cumulative improvements in the appearance of fine lines and also reduces the appearance of sagging skin. Although it has been heavily advertised as the substitute to surgery, Voltaic Arcing or “fibroblast” is not the substitute for cosmetic surgery. The only known way to achieve dramatic results is through the use of cosmetic surgery.